What you may have missed

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Amanda Lindhout: I will feel completely free when my sisters in Somalia are no longer suffering (New Photos and Video)


Amanda Lindhout has finally spoken out about her captivity in Somalia. She said, "As long as women are experiencing oppression in Somalia, I feel so personally connected to them because I experienced similar suffering."



Journalist-turned-humanitarian Amanda Lindhout spoke of finding inspiration during her darkest days in captivity as she launched her scholarship program for Somali women at a packed Red Deer church.



Amanda Lindhout has finally spoken out about her captivity in Somalia. She said, "As long as women are experiencing oppression in Somalia, I feel so personally connected to them because I experienced similar suffering."

Amanda feels that she has to be the voice for the, 'oppressed, Somali women' as puts it herself and that she at one point in the past (during her captivity) was one of them.

"I feel like I will feel completely free when my sisters in Somalia are no longer suffering", said Amanda speaking about the pain she feels which unites her with her counterparts in the war torn african country.

Amanda's feels being a woman in Somalia influenced the treatment she got from the Somali men who held her from nearly 15 months.

"Some of the boys (her captors) treated me and abused me in ways they have not abused Nigel" recounted Amanda of her ordeal. But she also reminded everyone that the Somali culture does also have its finer caltural upbringing. She added, "Nigel was 15 years older than the boys so they had harder time being mean to him."













Somali News Videos - Somali Blogs - Somali News - Somali Videos - Somali Chat